Don’t Let Veins Affect Your Quality of Life
Get healthier legs without Surgery and don’t let either varicose veins or spider veins affect what you do on a daily basis.
Untreated varicose veins can lead to:
- Pain and pressure symptoms
At ACI we use a technique called Sclerotherapy. It works by blocking off the vein and stopping blood flow in it. Without blood flowing through it, the vein will become invisible.
Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical procedure, commonly performed for the treatment of spider and varicose veins.
Sclerotherapy works by blocking off the vein and stopping blood flow in it. Without blood flowing through it, the vein will become invisible.
There are 3 common contributors to dilated veins:
Hereditary – those people with a family history of leg veins inherit a genetic tendency for the venous system to have increased pressure over time.
Pregnancy – related to both the increased venous backflow as the uterus grows and pushes on the venous system, as well as the increased blood volume in pregnancy.
Prolonged standing – at rest with our legs up, we have no pressure in the venous system. On standing the pressure increases dramatically to 100mmHg.
Walking gets the calf muscle pumping and drops the pressure to 30-40mmHg. With prolonged standing, the high pressures override the valves assisting in the return of blood, the valves then break down and blood pools in the leg veins. Contrary to popular belief, crossing your legs has no effect on developing leg veins.
Sclerotherapy is very effective. The success rate is about 85%. It depends on the flow of blood between the superficial and deep networks of veins in the leg.
Why do you have Varicose Veins?
Hereditary is the consensus of most doctors. The condition may be further enhanced with conditions causing increased pressure on the legs such as pregnancy, or long periods of standing.
Varicose Veins form in the superficial venous system, when one way valves that control the circulation break down. This leads to increased venous pressure in the veins which then thicken and buckle giving the “knotty” look. Associated with the unsightly appearance are symptoms such as swollen achey legs which often cramp. If present for years, skin discolouration and ulcers can form.
Each patient is fully assessed and fully informed before commencing treatment. Each treatment includes identification of the vein (s) to be treated. Several micro-injections along the vein(s) of a solution of Sodium Tetradecyl Sulphate followed with application of compression by using a special stocking and/or bandages.
Inconvenience to your lifestyle is minimal. You are able to return to work immediately and to vigorous exercise in 4 days.
‘Vein Sclerotherapy’ is widely used to eliminate unsightly veins in the legs and face. This procedure is done with micro-injections of Sodium Tetradecyl Sulphate into these unwanted veins known as ‘Spider Veins’ and ‘Starbursts’
Sclerotherapy is done in the doctors’ rooms as a walk in and walk out procedure. It does not involve a visit to the hospital, nor does it require time off work.
- The doctor uses a very fine needle to inject the veins. The solution causes the walls of the blood vessels to close up, (sclerose) thus eliminating blood flow into those veins. A series of injections are performed according to the number of visible veins.
- Each treatment is completed in 15 to 30 minutes. You may feel a slight burning sensation during the injections which fades away quite quickly.
- Some form of compression is usually required and may be tapes or a compression stocking. Some bruising may occur but disappears leaving your legs without the unsightly looking veins.
Why do you have Spider Veins?
Hereditary is the consensus of most doctors. The condition may be further enhanced with increased pressure on the legs, such as pregnancy, or long frequent periods of standing. Facial blood vessels are even more likely to be hereditary and are enhanced by Rosacea, sun exposure and alcohol intake.
Spider veins can be treated by sclerotherapy or laser light therapy, and is done in the doctor’s rooms. Being a walk-in and walk-out procedure, it does not involve a visit to the hospital.
- The doctor uses a very fine needle to inject the veins with a special solution, which causes the wall of the blood vessels to close up, (sclerose) thus eliminating blood flow into the veins. A series of injections are performed according to the amount of visible veins. The solution is painless and does not sting.
- Each consultation is completed in usually 20 to 30 minutes.
- You may need to wear a compression pantyhose several days after the procedure to help prevent bruising. Some bruising will occur, but disappears leaving your legs without the unsightly looking veins.
- The IPL Photoderm treats the smaller spider veins with intense pulses of light that cause the veins to shrivel immediately.
You can get great looking legs with our safe and effective spider vein removal treatment. There is little, if any discomfort, for most patients and significant improvement after just one or two treatments.